Biology Program Information
- A Major in Biology (BA or BSc)
Four Year Major - BSc, BA Requirements
42 credits in Biology:
- 9 credits Evolution and Cell Biology
- 9 credits Ecology, Genetics and History of Biology
- 3 credits Developmental Biology
- 21-27 credits as in calendar in 1 of 3 streams:
- General Biology
- Cellular & Molecular Biology
- Ecology & Conservations Biology
BSc in Biology also requires:
- 3 credits Mathematics
- 3 credits Statistics
- 6 credits Physics
- 12 credits Chemistry
- A Minor in Biology (BA, BSc, BMgt, BMus)
Minor in Biology Requirements
18 credits in Biology:
- 3 credits AUBIO 110 or 130
- 9 credits in senior level AUBIO
- 3 credits in AUBIO at the 300 or 400 level
- 3 additional credits in AUBIO
Alberta Society of Professional Biologists
Please note that membership in the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists may be required by some professions in biology. An undergraduate or graduate degree in biology is required for membership. In addition, ASPB requires the following specific courses to have been completed during the degree:
6 cr introductory biology
6 cr introductory chemistry
6 cr introductory physics
6 cr mathematics/statistics
3 cr ecology
3 cr genetics
3 cr molecular biology
6 cr organic chemistry/biochemistry
6 cr botany/microbiology/zoology
12 cr 300 and 400-level biology
Hence, those considering membership in ASPB should ensure that these courses are taken during their degree at Augustana. Enquiries may be directed to the ASPB website.
Student Assistant Program
AUBIO 110/130 and AUCHE 110/112 hire student assistants in the lab portion of the course. These positions are invaluable to students desiring experience leading towards elementary and secondary education, graduate school, or jobs requiring a public presence (eg. park guide or interpreter). Responsibilities include helping the instructor during lab and marking lab assignments.
In Augustana’s Biology major you will develop an understanding of the scientific process and acquire transferable skills through the practice of scientific inquiry that will prepare you for graduate studies, professional programs and a broad range of careers as you nurture your care and respect for life on earth. Students will learn the integrative nature of biology through the following cornerstones:
- Evolution - You will explore evolution by examining the mechanisms of evolution and the evolutionary history of organisms.
- Development - You will study how organisms are “put together” and explore evolution of developmental programs.
- Function - You will learn how biological structures relate to biological functions that help organisms solve different survival problems.
At Augustana Campus our core curriculum emphasizes thinking, researching and communicating and these skills are developed in the area of your major. In our biology program you will develop your skills as a:
- conducting field and laboratory research.
- analyzing and interpreting data and other information.
- working collaboratively.
- reporting scientific knowledge in written, graphical, and oral formats.
- approaching problems using the scientific method
- understanding fundamental biological principles
- evaluating the societal significance of scientific knowledge.